Monday, April 6, 2009

Culinary quiz


Here's a little bit of fun. Kurt has suggested a quiz as a way to get to know each other. I think it's a great idea so here it is, this one with responses from Kurt himself.

What's rotting in the back of your fridge right now?

A jar of home-made (by my butcher, that is) Portuguese pimento sauce that I think may finally be showing signs of mold after a year.


Who inspired you to cook?

My father, who found the joy in cooking as I reached my teenage years. For my mother, cooking was a necessary chore that was part of raising four children. With Dad, it was about having fun and exploring.


What was the first dish you remember cooking as a child?

I would make myself canapés of mushrooms and melted cheese on a triscuit cracker as my own special treat before bedtime. My parents definitely should have seen this as a gay indicator.


What ingredient do you always have in your refrigerator or pantry at home?

Fresh herbs – thyme, rosemary, coriander, basil


What snack food can you not live without?

I am a salt freak – potato chips (the basic sea salt and vinegar) are my vice.


What dish or dishes would you say you have mastered?

Osso Bucco, Linguini Vongole, Shrimp Korma


If you could have dinner with three people from any time in history, who would they be?

My grandfather who died when I was a just a baby and whose wit and wisdom I never knew, David Sedaris for entertaining conversation, and Julia Child to share and savour all things French.


Where and what was your last great meal?

At my house a few weeks ago – my first Paella prepared for a crowd of 15 people was a success!


What ingredient do you despise?

Eggplant – it is tasteless, has a repulsive texture, and gave me a night of indigestion years ago that I have yet to forgive it for.


What ingredient do you rely on most?

This is a tie between Sea Salt and Herbes de Provence – I have buckets of it in the pantry sent from my French family, and it ends up in nearly everything.


Favourite kitchen tool?

Over-sized heavy wood chopping block. I feel you can do everything with one good knife, and having the chopping surface 2 inches higher is perfect for my height – I feel like a master chef when I’m preparing things on it.


Dessert or cheese?

Cheese – I could give up chocolate before I could give up Camembert


Bourgogne or Bordeaux?

Bourgogne. Mmmmmmmmmmm


What's your one weakness as a cook?

Occasionally rushing – haste makes mistakes that can ruin my cooking mood.


And your strength?

Planning / timing – I can get it all on the table at the same time and have it hot!


Best music to cook to?

Brazilian - it allows for dance breaks.


What new dish are you planning to try in the near future?

Oxtails – they show up in my butcher’s fridge occasionally and I’ve got to try them before the braising season is over.



Send me your own responses and I will be more than happy to post them, or you can just exchange them with your partner.

No comments:

Post a Comment